Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Janapada Loka

This is where I spent my birthday last year and this is where we went again on the way to Amblee Resorts. This draft has been resting since a long time in my posts. I just dug it up today.

It is located some 50km on the Bangalore Mysore Highway and spreads more than 10 acres for sure, a really huge place. It’s like a treasure of Karnataka heritage! There is a large collection of household gadgets, masks, dolls, shadow puppets, agricultural, hunting and fishing stuff. There are some really old chariots, stone carvings of deities etc.


When I checked out the history of this place it was fascinating. This entire initiation was by H.L Gowda who felt the need to preserve tradition and folk forms of Karnataka. He also wanted to preserve it in the true village style. That’s exactly how this place is too! The things they have here reminded me of things I have at my ancestral home. The lamps, utensils, things we love to preserve even today. Hardly use them however!

The Kamat restaurant next to it is also a unique modeling. The restaurant is based on a village house complete with a cow shed and cows. The waiters sport traditional dress and the food served consists of typical home food. We loved the food here. Last time when I went we ate seperate orders but this time it was a buffet breakfast that was also too good. A must visit place specially if you are on the way to Mysore!

No comments: