Monday, June 11, 2007

Optimist or Pessimist?

One of my close friends lately got promoted to the post of trainer. He is someone who believes everything is pre-decided and nothing he does makes a difference! When this position was open for filling he refused to give a try because he thought the post was already decided for someone else and all this was just a show!!

Even though I believed the battle was lost without a fight, he stayed firm..It was thanks to his friends who pushed him to do the presentation and lo and behold, contrary to all beliefs, he got selected too…

I always wonder…is optimism a part of our character or something we develop with time, facing the world…It is easy to say one should be optimistic in life…Easy to preach but then practice?? Don’t think so!! I am example for this myself. I love to think the glass is half full but then my thoughts would be mostly..”Oh man! It is still half empty…How come it is half empty???”

I have attended a dozen or more of those motivation classes. At the moment I’ll be all geared up to face life with that positive outlook. But when life glares at me with wide eyes it just escapes me..I bet I’m no different from others who sat with me in those classes…But I guess no one likes to admit they see the half empty glass. It’s easy to take up those optimism tests and give all the positive answers..The test results come and you comfort yourself “ Yeah I am an optimist!” Big deal! As if it solves your problem of seeing the half empty glass!

I then wonder am I a pessimist?? No..I do take that step to make things better in life…I do think that life is worth living for the good moments too…So where does it leave me? Is there a line in between…Should be…What do you call someone who is optimistic when happy and pessimist when faced with problems..Ha ha!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well thats a point to think n wonder..

someone said to me once..we shd b optimistically pessimist..
he he..in trouble its natural to b pessimist ..not going to high fundas..i guess thats y frens n family are for..but sometimes..when u r in trouble u r not able to find anyone near u..in that case..i guess the pain itself gets u going..
one has to develop this..till then keep on taking the bangs..

cm chap said...

Shd we call them... Pragmatic Human???

Life Rocks!!! said...

he he...so fellow bloggers...this is pragmatic Vidya and her life rocking!!

Serendipity said...

"What do you call someone who is optimistic when happy and pessimist when faced with problems"

ME??
:)

Life Rocks!!! said...

YES!!! I think I am provign my point..WE are all the same!!

Quirky pie said...

Hey!! Thanks so much for your comment!! was going thru your blog.. good fun i must say.. keep blogging and do keep checking out my blog :-)

Kavi said...

Thanks for stopping by ! You have a wonderful space here !

Motivation classes are at best good in scratching the surface ! True motivation has to come from within !

And to answer your qeustion.."human"

Quirky pie said...

totally second you on tht!

Shruti said...

Hmm, well feeling down sometimes or seeing the things from another angle meand that you are pessimistic..
We all are human beings and we are attract towards both energy, positive and negative...
We just dont have to loose the hope and try to dominate our negative feelings..

Anyways, love to read it..
TAke care

cm chap said...

hey do let me knw whether "Veronica decides to die - Paulo Coelho " is a worthy read..I'm quite thnkg abt readg it for soemtime.